First, download a Minted Challenge Kit for the challenge you’d like to submit to. If you click on the individual challenge page, you’ll see a link that reads “Download Challenge Kit“ on the upper right, just below the header. Each challenge kit contains:
- A challenge description PDF with detailed instructions on creating your design and saving your resized submission image.
- Templates and textures to use to create your submissions in Adobe Illustrator (you’ll need this program to use the templates. If you’re using an older version of the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you new templates that you can use.)
- A link to a photo kit if you’re submitting to a photo card challenge.
Once you’ve created your complete design, you’ll save a smaller version of your image to submit to the challenge. Your challenge description PDF contains detailed instructions on preparing your submission image for each challenge, but all submission images must be:
- .JPG images
- Under 600kb
- Sized at exactly 1100 pixels on the longest side
To save a resized submission image from Adobe Illustrator:
- From the File Menu, select 'Export' and then ‘Save for Web (Legacy)'
- We recommend selecting the Preset ‘JPEG High.’ Quality 100 is usually fine, but it can be optimized as you see fit to get the best file size/quality ratio, keeping your design under 600kb.
- Just below the presets menu, click on the ‘Image Size’ tab. Make sure the ‘Constrain Proportions’ box is checked.
- Set the largest side of your artwork to 1100 pixels and click on the ‘Apply’ button, then save.
*Additional note on submission images: While you’ll be creating your design in CMYK color mode, we recommend saving your submission image in RGB mode.
If your design is selected as a winner, you will receive a detailed message from our Files team with instructions on preparing your final files. Please note that if your design wins, you’ll need to submit your final files in Adobe Illustrator format for stationery designs and as high-resolution JPGs for art prints. We cannot accept final files in Photoshop or other formats.