Here are our top tips for getting great feedback:
- Ask for it!
The very best way to ask for feedback is to request it on your submission's page, which you can do with just a couple clicks. After you submit, a banner will appear with an “Ask for Feedback” button you can click to request feedback. The button is also located above every submission currently in the submission stage. You’ll be prompted to ask the community a question about your piece. You can delete your feedback request or edit it to ask a new question at any time. Request early for best results!
- BE SPECIFIC! Designs that include direct questions generate many more responses than designs that say "feedback welcome", or "how can I improve this?". Hone in on those details you’ve been agonizing over. Focusing on one element of the design at a time (like color, typography, layout, etc) makes it much easier for others to give you feedback.
- Don't hide your design When you submit a design, you are given the option to "hide" your design during the critique phase. Make sure not to check this box if you'd like to receive feedback from other artists.
- Start a design poll
The design poll allows you to upload up to four different versions of your design, and poll others in the community to get feedback and rate your different versions. You'll receive the feedback below your design in the “Comments” section. The feature is designed specially to allow community members to quickly and easily help each other make design decisions. See "How do design polls work?" to get going.
Note: Be sure to close your polls before voting opens. If your poll is still open, it will revert back to the last submitted design.
- Give feedback
Don't forget to give back. Each open challenge currently has a "polls & feedback" section at the top of the challenge home, with rotating designs waiting for feedback. Click the “give feedback” button on the challenge home or from your Minted Artist Dashboard, and you’ll be taken directly to a submission currently awaiting community input. To see designs that are polling in a challenge, click on the "help decide" button on the design challenge home. Other artists will appreciate your thoughts and very often reciprocate by leaving you feedback on your work as well, so don't be shy! Our community is very supportive and welcoming.
If an artist gives you outstanding feedback during a challenge, you can nominate him or her for a Critique Award to show your appreciation. By leaving helpful feedback to another artist, you might find yourself nominated for the award, as well!
- Read 10 Tips for Critiquing Minted Art and Designs on Julep. This article includes insights from the community.
- Read 7 Ways to Master Art and Design Critiques, which includes expert advice from a Parsons School of Design professor.
- Join the Minted Community Facebook Group
The Minted Community Facebook Group is the hub of community activity. Facebook's many useful features make the group a great place for artists to communicate and build relationships. One great aspect of the group is that each challenge has a thread where artists post links to polls and requests for feedback on Minted. Posting here gives these designs a lot more traffic than they might otherwise get and is a fun way to track who is working on what! If you are already in the group, check out this thread of advice for getting (and giving) better feedback, and you'll be a critiquing pro in no time.
- Reach out
Don't be afraid to ask other artists directly. Minted artists are really a wonderful and caring bunch and we think you will find reaching out to someone that you admire for feedback is pretty effective! For best results, be sure the person you are trying to connect with is actively submitting to the current challenge. If an artist is sitting one out, it's likely because they are a bit busy at the moment.