Here are our top tips for getting great feedback.
1. Ask for it!
The best way to ask for feedback is to request it on your submission's page, by clicking the "ask for feedback" button located above your submission. You’ll be prompted to ask the community a question about your piece. You can delete your feedback request or edit it to ask a new question anytime. Request early for the best results!
- Be specific. Direct questions generate more responses. Try focusing on one element of the design at a time such as color, typography, or layout.
- Keep your design visible. When you submit a design, you are given the option to "hide" your design during the critique phase. If you'd like to receive feedback from other artists, make sure not to check this box.
- Continue the conversation. Reply to comments on your design with questions or to share updates with those who helped you improve. Artists will be notified via email when you reply to their comment.
- Pin your comments. Previously "Feature as top comment", the "pin" feature allows you to keep your specific questions for your design at the top of the comments section for others to see.
2. Start a design poll.
Design polls allow you to upload up to four different versions of your design and ask community members to give feedback on and rate the different versions. You'll receive the feedback below your design in the “Comments” section. See "How do design polls work?" to get started.
NOTE: Be sure to close your polls before voting opens. If your poll is still open, it will revert back to the last submitted design.
3. Give feedback.
Don't forget to give back. There are a few ways to see designs waiting for feedback.
- Check the "polls & feedback" section at the homepage of any open Challenge for rotating designs and click the "help decide" button to rate.
- Click the “give feedback” button, located on the homepage of any open Challenge and in your Minted Artist Dashboard, to be taken directly to a submission currently awaiting community input.
- Reply to comments on your submissions. You can upload as many as 10 images in your response (up to 10mb for each photo). The artist who wrote the original comment, along with any other commenters in the thread, will receive an email notification so they can stay up-to-date on the conversation.
PRO TIP: Tag a specific artist in your comment reply by typing "@" followed by the artist's name or artist profile URL and selecting from a drop-down of suggested artists. The artist will receive an email notification that you tagged them. This feature is currently only available on the submission page, not the feedback or poll widgets.
If an artist gives you outstanding feedback during a challenge, you can nominate him or her for a Critique Award to show your appreciation. By leaving helpful feedback to another artist, you might find yourself nominated for the award as well! See your Challenge Kit for how to nominate.
- Read 10 Tips for Critiquing Minted Art and Designs on Julep. This article includes insights from the community.
- Read 7 Ways to Master Art and Design Critiques, which includes expert advice from a Parsons School of Design professor.
4. Join Minted's Community Forums.
The Community Forums are a hub of community activity. Check the Challenge Discussions category to see if a polling/feedback thread has already been started for the Challenge, or start your own by clicking Start a Discussion. Remember that it's best to ask for specific feedback on your design. And don't forget to give back to others by giving them some feedback or answering their polls as well!
5. Reach out.
Don't be afraid to ask other artists directly. Minted artists are really a wonderful and caring bunch and we think you will find reaching out to someone that you admire for feedback is pretty effective! For best results, be sure the person you are trying to connect with is actively submitting to the current challenge. If an artist is sitting one out, it's likely because they are a bit busy at the moment.