Minted's Commissioned Original Art Program enables customers to connect directly with Minted's independent artist community to commission original art that's created especially for them. Customers can request a brand new concept or use an existing piece of art as inspiration. You can view the Commissioned Original Art Program right here.
COMMISSIONED ORIGINAL ART PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Please note that we are in the initial conceptualization phase (BETA) of this program, and these details are subject to change.
- Customers can select a piece of the artist's existing artwork as a starting point.
- The customer will provide details — such as the size and description of the piece they would like. They will be able to upload their own photos or images as references for the artist.
- When a customer places a Commissioned Art request for a particular artist, Minted will email the artist directly. Artists can then communicate with the customer through Minted's messaging platform.
- Artists are always able to decline a commission request if they wish.
Artists will be able to set their own price (Minted will only determine a minimum price to protect artists from a "race to the bottom"). This price must include insured shipping to the customer. Please see this article for more tips on pricing Commissioned Art.
When fulfilling requests for Commissioned Original Art, Minted artists will earn 80% of the full retail price set for their work, with the remaining 20% being paid to Minted.
Note that even if you opt in to the Commissioned Art Program and are willing to be among those artists designated on our site as accepting commission requests, you have the right to refuse any and all commission requests. We encourage you to set a price by which you're willing to accept commissions. We have pre-written a polite decline message that makes it easier for you to decline projects without awkwardness.
For the initial testing period of Art Commissions, through the end of 2017, artists will receive 80% of their total Commissioned Art sales. There will be no listing fees associated with this program. We will collect 50% of the set price for each piece from the customer upfront, to ensure confidence on both sides. Please see this article for more information on payments.
- Artists will ship their work directly to customers, and will be able to set an average time to produce commissioned work on their Commissioned Art landing page (example: three to four weeks), so that customers are aware of this general timeline before making their request. Please see this article for tips on shipping your original artwork.
- You do not need to frame your work before shipping it as long as the customer is aware and you designate the work as unframed.
- We ask that for original works valued at over $500, you send a weekly progress report (a quick message including a photo of the work) to the customer.
Reminder About Customer Privacy: We love it when you share your works in progress, but also want to remind artists that the commissions you are working on are often interpretations of customers’ private photos and personal moments.
In the Terms & Conditions for Commissioned Original Art, we note that “you have created the unique artwork for the exclusive use of the customer. You may not distribute, reproduce, or otherwise profit from the artwork without the customer’s express, written permission, or as agreed upon prior to the acceptance of the commission.”