Using a non-minted font in your design? No problem! See more information below regarding our process and how to properly set up your files before submitting.
We always encourage the Minted Community to surface new and exciting fonts through challenge submissions as a way for us to add to our growing Font Library. We try to add as many fonts to our Minted Font List as possible, but sometimes are unable to acquire licensing and need to replace with something from our current font library. Once your files are submitted, our team will look into proper licensing and reach out if we are unable to purchase the new font in your design.
If you are using a non-minted font in your design, it is important you include a few things in your files before submitting:
- Customizable Text Box: Keep the non-minted font used in your design in customizable form (i.e. in a text box and not in outlined form).
- Outlined Version: If the font is used as a non-custom word/greeting (i.e. "joy"), please also place an outlined version of this off the artboard. Licensing may allow us to use this font in outlined form, so we would love to have this upfront!
- Suggested replacement(s): If there are specific fonts from our Minted Font List that are similar and you would prefer we swamp with if needed, please also add this information.
You'll find the artboard pictured below within your templates. Please ensure you are filling out all relevant information so we can look into licensing and launch your design faster.
WHY WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO LICENSE
We may not be able to purchase licensing for the font you used for a few different reasons. In these instances, we will reach out to you and let you know how we are proceeding prior to launching your design.
- Untimely Response from the Foundry: Sometimes we do not hear back from font designers or the foundry in a timely manner, and must move forward with an alternate font in order to keep up with our launch deadlines.
- Price is Outside Our Font Budget: We may need to replace with another similar font from our list if the cost for proper licensing of the font used is too expensive.
- Foundry Does Not Provide Correct Licensing: We require a unique type of licensing for fonts used in designs on minted.com, and some font designers or foundries simply do not offer the licensing we need.
- We Already Own a Similar Font in Our Library: It's possible we already own a very similar font in our Font Library so our team may decide to replace with that instead of purchasing a new font.
Read the Font Update in our newsletter "The Palette" for new fonts we add to our library!
Hungry for more? See Minted artists' top 10 font tips.